1. Is this course offered through a college?
- Our course was previously offered through Selkirk College, Continuing Education department. We are currently offering this course through our own website. Please go to the ‘contact us’ link for more information.
2. Can I get a certificate?
- You will receive a certificate of completion once you successfully complete the requirements for this course.
3. Is there a practicum component?
- No, our course will be delivered entirely online.
4. How much does it cost?
- Tuition is $600, and the textbook is $75 + GST.
5. Is there a textbook?
- Yes, a companion resource text and workbook have been developed.
6. Will anyone pay for me to take this course?
- Funds may be available through Employment Assistance Services (EAS). Speak with EI or Employment counsellors to explore options.
7. What if I haven’t used a computer before? Or don’t have access to a computer?
- “The course is designed to be on-line accessible and user-friendly. There will be interactive components in the on-line (Moodle) environment. It is a prerequisite to have access to a computer with internet, and be able to operate its basic functions. You will need to be able to browse the internet, be familiar with a Word processing program, and be able to open PDF documents. It is also necessary to have an e-mail address and know how to create, send, and receive e-mails. Your Guide/Instructor will be available to offer support as needed. Access to computers can be found at public libraries.
8. Are there prerequisites?
- Prerequisites for this course are:
- Have access to a computer with internet, and be able to operate its basic functions.
- Have a working e-mail address and know how to create, send, and receive e-mails.
- The Respite Services Training Certificate is recommended – a 15 hour introductory on-line course through Safeguards Ontario. www.respitecourse.ca
9. What makes the ShelterGuide course different from the introductory on-line Respite version?
- More extensive, in-depth, related, practice-based course content; a story-telling scenario-based approach, low instructor to student ratio, and all learning styles addressed within the course content.
10. I heard there might be a Respite Citation – can you tell me more about that?
- This was available through a previous offering of our course and is not available at this time.
11. What experience is required?
- You’ll access and share life experiences as you move through the content. If you do have experiences in service to people with diverse abilities, it will enrich your learning.
12. Is this course required? Is it recognized?
- Many professional community partners are serving on our advisory for development of this much-needed course. At this time, the course is not yet required; however it will be strongly recommended and certainly recognized within the Community Living sector and by families of individuals with disabilities.
13. Is this course credible?
- The developers represent and bring experience and training in all aspects of community living including Respite, Home Share and Parenting perspectives. The content has been developed based on input from focus group participants, the development team’s practical professional expertise, and community partners.
14. Is this course about adults, youth, or children?
- All ages and stages of the lifespan have been considered in the development- including the natural transitions that occur at each stage.
15. Does the course specialize in services for people with autism?
- Not at this time. However, we are using a story approach and two of the five characters experience life through the autism lens. Additionally we are considering offering speciality coursework in the future focusing on meeting the unique needs of individuals with autism, FASD, seniors, chronic health concerns and mental health challenges.
16. How big is the class size?
- Your class (cohort) will be no larger than 30 students. Each group of six students will have their own dedicated primary Guide / Instructor.
17. How long is the course?
- 14 weeks. At this time we project it will be approximately 60 hours in length.
18. When will it be available?
- Each offering will be announced on the main page of our website, here: www.shelterguides.com
19. How often will this course be offered?
- We anticipate that there will be two subsequent offerings each year.